After gaining a better understanding and respect for projects in the yard and the power of the wild side of nature to persevere, I have decided to start focusing my energy on a very small garden in front of our house. This is Zone 8 from my map of the yard.
Here is what I was working with:
The plan is to fill in the top part with Azaleas and leave the bottom for rotating annuals (right now it is going to be mums for the fall).
Progress has been made…
I love when you are driving down the road and randomly encounter the best sunsets!
My mini B&B
For me (and any domestic diva) it is very important to have a clean, comfortable place for guests to stay when they visit. When I first started looking for a house to buy, one of my wish list items (that I didn’t think I would be able to get) was to have an extra room to devote to guests who came to stay with us. After 5 years in a one bedroom apartment with guests sleeping in the living room, this was very important to me. Luckily, the stars aligned and I got a house with a room and a bathroom I could designate for guests. Unfortunately, they were far from guest ready when we moved in.
The first thing we did was remove the closet, which was taking up about 25% of the room and consisted of 2 huge piece of plywood on a sliding track. The plywood was so heavy it was almost impossible to open and close the closet doors, and this is a small room, so reclaiming that space was very important. Sidenote: removing screws from a concrete floor should not be taken lightly. 2 screwdrivers, a pair of plyers, and one hacksaw later we were able to remove the closet track from the floor. Here is the room before we started to work on it (after closet was removed):
Given the paint marks and holes left in the floor from removing the closet, the first thing we decided to do (after a fresh coat of paint) was to install a new floor.
We decided to go with a floating laminate floor. First we had to put down a moisture barrier over the old floor since it was installed directly on the concrete.
Then the floor went in. It took about an hour to lay the first couple rows, but once we got the hang of it it went in much faster.
Coming soon…designing and setting up the room.